Dermal fillers are an increasingly popular cosmetic treatment for a wide variety of skin concerns, but with a large range of different fillers available today it can be tricky to find the perfect one for you. Here, we’ll cover the first three steps to take in choosing the right dermal filler for you.
Step 1: Decide what skin concern(s) you want to address.
Generally speaking, dermal fillers smooth, plump, and lift the skin, making it appear more youthful, but different dermal fillers are appropriate for different areas of the face and body. You should select a dermal filler based on the specific area that you want treated.
Examples of common skin concerns and dermal fillers that can treat them are:
- Nasolabial folds: Juvederm, Radiesse, Restylane, VOLLURE, Belotero, Bellafill, and Sculptra
- Vertical lip lines: Restylane Silk, VOLBELLA, Belotero
- Chin wrinkles and fine lines: Belotero, Radiesse, Restylane, Juvederm
- Lost volume in the lips: Juvederm Ultra, VOLBELLA
- Marionette lines: Juvederm, Belotero, Restylane, Refyne, Restylane Defyne
- Lost volume in the cheeks: VOLUMA, Restylane Lyft
- Under eye lines and wrinkles: Juvederm, Restylane
- Acne scars: Juvederm, Bellafill, Radiesse
- Lost volume in the back of the hands: Radiesse
Step 2: Consider your skin type and medical background.
Most dermal fillers are safe for all skin types, but certain fillers are more effective than others for skin with sun damage, for example. Your age, skin tone, and skin elasticity will help you and your doctor narrow down the list of dermal fillers that could be right for you.
Your medical background, including allergies to any medications, whether or not your smoke, and existing medical conditions should be discussed with your doctor before choosing a dermal filler.
Step 3: Compare the qualities of different dermal fillers with your doctor.
There are many dermal fillers available today. These fillers can differ in how much they cost, how they affect the skin, and how long they last. While some fillers will provide results that last over a year, others may only last for six months. The lifespan of your chosen filler should coordinate with your goals and budget. Also, you should consider the number of injections that will be needed to achieve your desired results. Some fillers are the most effective when multiple injections are administered, typically four to six weeks apart.
By talking to a cosmetic professional at Ultimate Image Cosmetic Medical Center in Clearwater, Florida, you can better understand the subtle differences between each dermal filler. This professional insight is key in settling on the safest and most effective dermal filler for you.